Google doesn't make it easy for us to migrate email from your existing NRCA Gmail account to any other provider. However, you can follow the steps below to ensure that all of your saved emails, including all of your folders, are copied over to your NRCA Office 365 account.
If you want to declare email backrupcy and just start the year with a blank slate, you can simply ignore these instructions and an empty email account will be created for you. You will still be able to access your NRCA Gmail account in view-only mode, you just will not be able to send or receive email through the account.
Enable 2-step verification
The first step is to enable 2-step verification on your NRCA Gmail account. This is going to require you to have your cell phone handy, so make sure you have it before getting started.
- Sign-in to your NRCA Gmail account.
- Select My Account from the app selection menu in the top-right corner of the page If you do not see an icon labeled My Account you may need to click on More at the bottom of the list.
- On the My Account page, choose Sign-in & security.
- Under the Password & sign-in method, located towards the bottom right, choose the arrow next to the 2-Step verification, and provide your password if asked.
- On the Protect your account with 2-Step Verification page, choose Get started.
- Re-enter your password if asked, and on the Lets set up your phone page, enter or verify your cell phone number and click NEXT.
- Enter the verification number sent to your cell phone and click NEXT.
- Finally, on the It worked! page, click TURN ON.
After enabling 2-step verification, you will be required to re-login on any devices where you are using your NRCA Google Apps account.
Create an app password
Now that 2-step verification is turned on, we will continue in the Sign-in & security section of your NRCA GMail account.
- Click on the arrow in the top, left corner of the screen, to the left of 2-Step Verification, to return to the Sign-in & security page.
- Under the Password & sign-in method, choose the arrow next to the App passwords, and provide your password and verification code, if asked.
- On the App passwords page, in the Select app drop-down choose Other (custom name).
- Type in a name, for example Office 365, and click on GENERATE.
- Copy the app password listed under Your app password for your device. Do NOT click on the DONE button. Leave this window open and move to the next step.
- In the form below, enter your school email address and paste the app password, that you copied above. Double check that you have entered the 16-character app password correctly and then click Submit.
- Once you have submitted your app password, you can click DONE on the app password page and logout of your Google Apps account. You'll all done!